Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Tribute to a Woman of Strength


Philippines' Corazon Aquino died, 3:18 a.m. on Makati General Hospital , first day of August of the year of our Lord, 2009. She died of colon cancer.

Cancer.

One disease that could wrap you into its own little finger and have you kneeling down to beg for your own life. It has killed many, slaughtering even our young children. It picks no particular age, picks no particular gender and status. It kills anyone that comes its way and only a few had survived its wicked hands. The Big C. The most fearful disease known as cancer.

Cory Aquino was just another human that succumbed to the power of the disease.

A great loss, as she was indeed. Not only had she served our country for six years, acting out as our mother and protector, but she was also one mother of her own children, one mother who had her own responsibilities as a single parent, acting three roles at once.

She was a great wife, pushing her husband up, staying by his side to be his strength so he could carry out anything that he had to do.

She portrays a woman of strength. A woman, that in spite of every storm that thunders her frail form, remains strong and stable as her nature--unwavering and undaunted.

"Laban."

Cory Aquino became the foundation of democracy. She proved that a woman, a mere woman can save the whole nation form its opressors. She carried out toughest task anyone could have--leading all the people of the Philippines.

Who would have known that a mere housewife, would be ble to lead a whole lot of people, who at that time, were in total chaos.

Just recently, the whole nation was struck with the sudden news of a terminal disease our Corazon Aquino had to go through: colon cancer.

Ever since the beginning of the issue, we stuck with the media to know the updates regarding our former president's health. Not only were we merely worried; we were concerned. Because the Cory Aquino, the woman of democracy, of strength and of power, is the woman we came to love.

And then, all of a sudden, as the exact greeting of the month of August, the nation is one again, striken with the news of our president's death.

The pain may be mutual.

I have also come to experience the same kind of feeling when my grandmother passed away several years ago because of cervical cancer. I had to go through so much pain because she was the one who acted out as my mother. My mom also had to go through a lot of things so I came to grow up by my grandparents.

They were the closest people in my entire life.

I never knew that she was ever sick. She would come smile and pretend that the pain isn't there but the truth says otherwise. I never found out what kind of sickness she had. I was seven then and I wasn't yet aware of what death meant, or what cancer even had to bring forth.

Thus, the sudden loss of her smile, her touch, her hugs, has been a real shock to me.

"Why had Nanay left?"

It was all so painful.

Because of that, we had to move to another location where me and my two brothers, could be properly taken cared of. My mother and father would then be away for work in the morning and our other grandparents were the ones who took us in. With that, of course, I also had to transfer schools.

It was an entirely different world. A little girl was terrifed of a totally different world.

I felt that I didn't belong. And to add more to my terror, my classmates made me feel that I didn't belong.

This little girl cried a lot then. Her grandmother had left her alone. And even other people had to make it worse.

Although eventually, everything else came in place and things got a lot better because in the end, I had to make things work.

But up until now, whenever the thing about the past would work me up, I'd find myself with eyes welling up with tears.

Okay, I got a little off track. Back to the subject at hand because I'm beginning to be emotional. Again.

What I'm implying is that, the pain the whole Aquino, would always be the same pain that I felt when I lost someone I love because of cancer.

I woke up that morning with the news of her death. When I sat there on the table, staring at the television screen while nibbling my toast, the TV programs played on about what happened almost thrity years ago: the People Power I.

I could not help but to feel proud of being a Filipino. That all of the people came there with one goal: to kick out an opressor that held up our freedom for years. We were never the chinitos, the mestizos, the aetas, because then, we were one.

Corazon Aquino had left a large imprint on the Philippine history. She had left a large mark, one that changed our lives.

And even if she was gone, physically maybe, her spirit would always remain, and the mark that she had left would always be remembered. The legacy that she had left behind, would always urge people to live on, in spite of every obstacle we have to go through. And because of her strength, we are also strong. Because of her binding love, we remain as one. We are Filipinos. And we live for the freedom of our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment